Wednesday, March 4, 2015

An Interesting Conundrum

So I passed ISI FS2, which kind of surprised me but made me happy all the same. Coach Fab was happy for me and we talked about tests coming down the road; Pre-Bronze Freeskate and Bronze MIF both seem doable this year. We worked on lengthening the ice print on the Salchow, Mazurka and Toe Loop edgery, and more spinning. All in all, I couldn't be happier with my progress this year. I'm really feeling the love, and I'm feeling like a skater.

The Rink is hosting a mini-competition of sorts this weekend for all skaters enrolled in this class session. I think it's a good idea for me to enter a few events. It's free, it lets me get some outside opinions on my skillset, I can do my Program and take that for a test run, but more than that it's a great way for me to face my fear of skating judges. I can't figure out why skating for an audience didn't really bother me, but when I was in front of judges my knees shook. So, here's some experience with Judges that I can examine in a no-pressure way. And whenever I go out and do anything I encourage more adults to skate, plus I get to dress up. It's a Win all around.

My husband looked at the information sheet I brought home and asked if I was going to enter. I said yes.

He laughed a little and said, "You can't really win, you know."

"How so?"

"Well, if the kids beat you, people will say you couldn't win against kids because you're an adult. But if you beat them, people will ask how you could do that to them, because you're an adult."

"This is all true. But I think this is one of those things where everybody gets a medal."

"Of course."

"However, I *will* slay them when it comes to 8's."

"How can you do that to them, they're so cute."

"Whatever."

Now I just have to decide if I want to go Skating Dress or something a little more non-traditional. Because I'm not very traditional!

1 comment:

  1. I think it can sometimes be unpredictable. I've been beaten by kids and beat kids.

    The only times I feel really bad is when events are combined and I beat really really young kids. An improv event (can't recall what they call them) was supposed to be age 12+, for some reason they put a 7 year old in there. I won. Of course I did, she wasn't mature enough to map out a program at a moment's notice against an adult of similar skating skill level. She did however beat the other adult who was a lower skating skill level.

    ReplyDelete