Sunday, November 14, 2010

Double Shot

Yesterday we got hit with Teh Gay comments twice. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

During Game day I ran into one of the fellow parents from school. His girls do gymnastics and his boy used to play hockey but now does soccer. We chatted for a bit and I was pleased when he commented on the competition video, saying that he showed it to his own son for pointers on how to stop fast and go backwards. I said we were planning on the next one for late January, and told him the music Stitch wanted.

Other Dad raised his brows and puffed out a bit. "Don't you think that's a bit girly?"

"No."

"Well," he shook his head. "That might be a bit girly."

"No, it's not. It's good skating music." And pardon me, but weren't you just telling me how you were looking to MY kid to show YOUR kid good technique?

Fast forward to Late Skate. It was a bit crowded because for some reason people feel compelled to come in from a cold night to a cold room to skate, and there was a Hockey Game that night on the main rink. I gave Stitch some money for the vending machines and sent him off.

My Mother/Spidey Sense started to twitch, so I went over to check on things.

Three older boys, not in skates and clearly here because they were dragged here to watch the hockey game, were clustered around Stitch at the Vending Machines. This isn't unusual, most kids aren't allowed unsupervised with money at the machines, so kids will typically gather around some kid with parent-free cash. But I stood back and listened for trouble.

"Do you play hockey, the greatest game ever?" one boy asked.

Stitch ignored and went for his lemonade. He's in his good figure skates, not his moonboots, so it's clear he doesn't play hockey.

"I'll bet you don't play hockey," another boy said.

"Stitch, you okay?" I spoke up before things went south.

"Yeah," he handed me my change.

The first boy looked at me with wolf eyes and said, "Just tryin' to have a conversation."

I gave him Mother Bear Glare and said, "That's cool."

The rest of the evening was uneventful, but now that we're public I guess we can expect more of the same.

Haters gonna hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment